Electrical fire damages Yakima home

Yakima fire fighters responded to a fire early Sunday morning that was likely caused by an overheated electrical wire from an air conditioning unit. (Photo: Yakima Fire Department)

Efforts to stay cool likely led to a fire at a home in Yakima early Sunday morning.

According to a press release from the Yakima Fire Department, firefighters were called out a single story house fire in the 1500 Block of Landon Avenue at about 6:30 am. Four adults living in the house were able to get out of the house safely. By the time fire crews arrived, the flames had already made their way into the attic.

The residents told investigators that a circuit breaker in the electrical panel had been tripping off for the last few days. An air conditioner mounted onto a wall in the home was plugged into the circuit where the breakers were tripped. Because of the recent hot weather, the air conditioner had been running a lot.

The fire was contained to the attic and took about an hour to put out. Damage is estimated about $25,000.

The four adults displaced by the fire plan to stay with family.